Table of Contents
Earth Defence Force Tactics
Turn-based tactics game with elements of the Wars, Nectaris, and 大戰略 (AKA: Daisenryaku) series.
By thinkArts, who seem to have done a few of the Daisenryaku games around the same time (2005/6), but not the PS2 ones.
There's not much info around on how to play so here're some notes:
- When you're picking your units before the stage there doesn't seem to be a disadvantage to spending all the points you can. It's 4000 (or whatever) each time, no carry-over.
- Took me a minute to figure out why you kinda get two turns in a row. The second one's only for queuing up more units in your barracks. Hence the big text saying 'reinforcements'.
- The more bases you capture the more XP you get. When there's an ally army on the map I find it handy to send pale wings to go camp on places so they can't capture them :)
- Though units don't seem to actually gain XP unless I kill stuff with them? In the not-story mode they call the points you spend to buy units 'experience', so maybe it's that kind of experience…
- I thought dying and the 'Remove' command just sent a unit back to base, which seemed like a handy way to move them around, but it resets their experience level to 1. Whoops!
- Highest character level is 5.
- Online snooping suggests there are 100 stages. You play the first 50 as the EDF, and the second 50 as the aliens/invaders. The alien ones might be just the EDF ones repeated. Alien mode might be more difficult as the aliens are weaker.
- L1/2 move to next unit that hasn't acted yet, including those in bases. Makes it easy to check if you've don all your actions.
- Related: In the reinforcement stage it will just move you to the base. Saves you some scrolling :)
- Seems quicker to scroll the map with the analogue stick? Quicker acceleration?
- Storm Unit: Basic unit, good for taking bases
- Ranger Unit: Too slow to be much use, usually. Can only fire it didn't move. Can shoot at range, and some weapons hit multiple hexes. Got an anti-air weapons recently.
- Armored Unit: I never even use them TBH. Can use various weapon types like flame-throwers and web guns. If they get anti-air might be a good pairing with tanks.
- Maintenance Unit: Can't fight for shit, but keeps your troops' guns loaded.
- Pale Wing Close Range Model:
- Pale Wing Ranged Model:
- Pale Wing Bomb Model: All weapons seems to come with Destroy Stronghold?
- Pale Wing Reconnaissance Model: Can see really far.
- Gigantes: Slow, but strong if you can get them into combat. Good for defending positions. Could pair well with a Ranger Unit behind?
- Bazerato: Helicoptor.
- Airbike: Their speed makes them really handy for capturing bases. Can hit hovering enemies too.
|FOW||Fog of War. How far they can see|
|Fuel||Consumed when moving. Have only ran into trouble with it with pale wings, but it 'caused them to die and return to base.|
|Pale Wing Close Range||1||1||20||4||33||Land|
|Pale Wing Ranged||1||2||36||5||40||Land|
|Pale Wing Bomb||1||1||26||5||60||Land|
|Pale Wing Reconnaissance||1||3||28||6||50||- -|
Pale Wing Close Range Model
Pale Wing Ranged Model
Pale Wing Bomb Model
Pale Wing Reconnaissance Model
- The font is way better in the Japanese version, especially the numbers.
- The Japanese version also includes some extra info when you're first picking the units you'll take.
- Wars series.
- Nectaris series.
- 大戰略 / Daisenryaku series.
- Battle Isle series.
- If you play the game on an emulator in a higher resolutions you'll notice that the 'Direct Hit Rate' icons have more detail that you can normally see.
- If you play the PAL version in 60hz mode the grid is misaligned.
- Global Defence Force Tactics - The Earth Defense Force Wiki
- SIMPLE2000シリーズ Vol.103 THE 地球防衛軍タクティクス on the ゲームカタログ1) wiki.
- THE地球防衛軍タクティクスのレビュー！いつもとは別物！ - Japanese review, on menokenkou.work
- Vol.103 THE 地球防衛軍タクティクス on D3's website.
3ds artist audio australia cli company config film fixes form game-maker genre guide hardware index instrument internet japan language linux list melbourne multiplayer music music-making nintendo open-source organisation pattern person project protocol ps2 recommendations sandlot series snes software song sport switch theme tool translation video videogame videogames website wiki windows
edf_tactics.txt · Last modified: 2022/05/25 22:40 by rjt